So, you’re planning a hen party but don’t know where to start? We’re here to help. If you’re looking to keep things simple and affordable and have some creative fun whilst doing it then we have our top tips and ideas for planning your very own DIY hen party!
DIY Festival Hen Party
If you’re a festival lover, there’s no better way to celebrate! Why not create your own bride festival? Find a space you can use, camp in of course, and get those festival vibes going.
Must-haves for your festival hen party…
- Music – And lots of it! Get your bride tribe to give you their top 10 songs before the party so you can add them to the playlist. There are also lots of festivals on catch-up T.V. so you could have one playing loud in the background!
- Drinks – Create a bar area with all your favourite drinks. Use biodegradeable plastic cups… it’s the only way at a festival! You just won’t be paying festival prices! Win-win!
- Food – Important to keep you going all day long! Either create your food beforehand, order in or hire a food van to come and serve you!
- Decorations – From bunting to balloons, inflatables and flags – go all out with loads of colour for your decorations. You could even make them at the party (make sure you learn from one of our WEDexperts!)
- Glitter – A very important festival vibe! Create your own glitter bar so you and your bride tribe can decorate each other to get yourselves festival ready.
DIY Afternoon Tea
It’s super easy to re-create a beautiful afternoon tea at home and is a popular move for a hen party or at least part of the hen party. There are loads of different options when it comes to your venue; you can of course have it at home, or hire out a local hall if you have lots of guests.
Must-haves for your afternoon tea hen party…
- Homemade cakes and food – Yummy! These need to be homemade and you can make them yourself, either get everyone to bring part of the afternoon tea or, if you want to make a weekend of it, why not bake together the day before and celebrate by eating it the day after!
- China – The chintzier the better in our opinion. Borrow different mismatched china from people you know or raid the charity shops to find your perfect crockery. Check out our styling classes for help with this.
- Floral ice cubes – We absolutely love floral ice cubes! They are super easy to make and it’s the little details that count. Plus they’re super pretty and you can make them in whatever colours match your theme.
- Table games – These aren’t a deal-breaker but if the bride is a game player have some!
- Decorations – Flowers are perfect for afternoon tea decoration, why not create your own paper flowers in your decor colours! We of course have WEDclasses for these too!
DIY Cocktail Party
Want to prop up the bar all night but in private with your hens? A DIY cocktail party is a perfect solution. There are copious amounts of beautiful cocktail recipes online so get researching and collecting them, you can all have fun creating them together.
Must-haves for your cocktail party…
- Alcohol and mixers – There would be no cocktail party without them! Remember if you have teetotal guests to include some cocktail recipes without alcohol too! Get everyone to bring a bottle of their favourite spirit and get creative!
- Bar Area – This doesn’t have to anything too elaborate but you need space to create your cocktails so make sure there’s plenty of room! Set everything up in one area.
- Accessories – You’ll need to prepare cocktail shakers, an array of glasses from Martini, to champagne and tall tumblers, and lots and lots of ice!
- Decorations – Decorate your bar area and create seating areas for you and your hens, you can also get decorations for your cocktails! Again check out our styling classes.
- Cocktail Dresses – If you’re having a cocktail party make sure you get your best cocktail dress out and dress up to the nines for the occasion.
DIY Photobooth Photoshoot
Are you and your hens selfie lovers? If you are what better way to have some fun than creating a photobooth photoshoot! You can collect props from charity shops or create your own personalised ones. Photobooths are a great form of entertainment and will leave you with amazing memories from the day too.
Must-haves for your photo booth party…
- Camera – If you want instant prints then a polaroid camera is best, if you have a budding photographer in the group even better!
- Backdrop – Find or create a good backdrop. It can be as simple or elaborate as you want, think balloons arches, flower walls or vintage frames!
- Props – And plenty of them! From masks, hats, feather boas… the world is your oyster. You can raid charity shops for these or DIY them!
- Scrapbook or Digital Photoframe – Make your images instant by either adding them to a scrapbook for a cute keepsake or putting them onto a digital photo frame!
Games Night/Sports Day
Game ideas for your games night party…
- Prosecco/Beer Pong – a party favourite and a great team game to get to know everyone
- Egg and Spoon Race/Sack Race/Three-legged race – create your own sports day with classic games. You could even split into teams and make it competitive with prizes for the winning team!
- Hen Games – If you’re looking for something a bit less strenuous then a board hen games night is perfect. Create personalised quizzes, hen bingo and advice for the bride games.
- Consoles – if you’re a console lover then why not use this for your games night. From group console games, to dance mats there are lots of different fun options.
FOUND THIS DIY HEN PARTY IDEAS USEFUL – WHY NOT PIN IT FOR LATER!